Monday, January 7, 2013

Inclusion

Alright, people.  I've noticed something recently.  There tends to be a certain kind of voice that gets heard and it's the loud ones.  These voices tend to belong to people that are more passionate, and on the extremes of issues.  Well I'm more of a "Jesus said love everyone" kinda person, and my personality is such that I don't like stepping on toes, so I tend to be quiet.  Well I don't feel like I should be quiet about some things any more, so here goes.

 So there are a lot of people that say that being gay is wrong.  I'm pretty sure that at this point we can all agree that it is not (except for the crazies), because one does not choose to have feelings of same-sex attraction, just as one does not choose to have feelings of opposite-sex attraction.  Nothing is wrong with attraction, no matter who it is to.

Where it seems that people start to differ dramatically is when you ask them what the "right" course of action is.  This is where I've been told I have a unique perspective.

The right choice for you is the one that will personally bring you the most happiness throughout your life.

I will fight for your right to have the future that you choose.  Whether that be in a mixed-orientation marriage, a same-sex marriage, something in between, or if you choose to live a celibate life (more power to you, because I don't think I could ever have that kind of will power).  What we often overlook when we are focusing on fighting for the "right" thing is that we're actually all fighting for the same thing.  We are all fighting for our right to happiness. We need to fight for that same right for others, whether or not we believe it is our right choice.  We need to fight for others to have the right to their happiness too.  To not just fight for ourselves, but to fight for each other, together...just imagine how strong we could be.

~Bridey J.


1 comment:

  1. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. I think we can all agree that our mutual enemy is that blind hatred against the different or the unconventional people are taught. It's a very inspirational and fantastic (perhaps too fantastic right now) to imagine a day when people will recognize they are fighting the same battle and will unite to uproot their foe. I think a much needed change is for us to fight with the only thing that kills hatred: love.

    ReplyDelete