Sunday, February 26, 2012

Canon Fire

I was having an interesting conversation with a friend of mine on Thursday. The LDS church believes in something called an open canon, meaning that through revelation and such things can be added to the bible. This is the reason the Book of Mormon and other scripture are not considered blasphemous. This idea also includes the believe of continuous revelation from God, as quoted by the ninth Article of Faith (LDS scripture)...
We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.
I think many forget that this means that things can change. So often do I hear people talking as if the LDS church has a monopoly on the truth. What's worse than the idea that we have the only truth out there, is the idea that we already have all there ever will be. "But Bridey," you might say, "didn't you just say that Mormons believe there is still more new revelation to come?" Why yes I did, you astute reader you. The thing is that most member's understanding of this extends to "in general conference the prophet said we need to read our scriptures more", or "well we already have the Doctrine and Covenants, and that's modern-day revelation".

On October 6th, 1890, Wilford Woodruff officially stopped the practice of polygamy, which had been considered a sacred but common practice before that. 50 years ago if you said you thought one day a black kid would be able to pass you the sacrament you would have been considered an apostate. Yet on June 8th, 1978, Spencer Kimball declared that all worthy males could hold the priesthood, where before blacks had been called "fence-sitters" in the war in heaven and all sorts of things by the general authorities themselves. Within the last decade or two it was discouraged to interracially marry, but now no one believes that any more. So if we believe that these changes were true revelation then we in turn must believe that there may be more to come. If there is more to come then we do not have it all now. We say we believe it, but why are we not so ready and willing to admit there are things we don't know yet.

I've heard many friends tell me that if the church changes it's views about homosexuals and gay marriage that they just don't think they could be part of the church anymore. That's awfully hypocritical of them to demand that I follow the words of the prophet without wavering (even if I don't agree with them completely), but the moment words from that same man would ask them to question their own faith they would be allowed to leave.

What people don't understand is that if they say they believe in an open canon then they are saying things could change more in the future. If you believe in revelation to come then for all we know one day gays might marry in the temple, or women could hold the priesthood. Now before anyone jumps down my throat, let me say that I am not saying these things will happen. I'm saying that things that we might now see as impossible or blasphemous may one day be doctrine. The point is that we don't know, but we need to realize that whether or not we believe it will happen, doesn't change the fact that we believe it could happen.

People need to start knowing what they actually believe.

~Bridey J.

3 comments:

  1. I have wondered something similar since I read the following:
    "I have heard the Prophet speak in public on many occasions. In one meeting I heard him say: 'I will give you a key that will never rust,--if you will stay with the majority of the Twelve Apostles, and the records of the Church, you will never be led astray.' The history of the Church has proven this to be true."
    http://www.lds.org/manual/teachings-joseph-smith/chapter-27?lang=eng

    I wonder why the advice was republished in the recent lesson manual. I expect there will be new revelations that will shake us, surprise us, or confuse us. It's called a key that will never rust. I suppose we'll need it in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts, girly! And you're right: an open canon does mean things can change, we just don't know how or when or why yet. But it's worth it to be open and truly search deep. I've been reading President Monson's biography and when he was first called as an apostle he went to the German Democratic Republic (East Germany) and met with the saints there, saints who weren't really allowed to practice religion but found a way to anyways. He made a lot of promises to them that didn't seem possible. But then it happened in the end. A temple, freedom, the ability to travel and see family members abroad again. It was kinda a reminder to me that something that might seem impossible might not be after all. I have no idea if the church will change on this, but I do know that plenty more truth will come over the years. I'm interested to see what that will be.

    And you rock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this discussion. The Church is by definition a mutable thing, as the world is mutable. As the World changes, the prophets have to warn of new evils. Conversely, as the World shifts, as you show with your mention of President Kimball's revelation in 1978, the Lord is able to open up new doors that would not have been societally possible before.

    As for the topic at hand, all I can say is that I know God blesses His faithful children, every one. Based on that, and with my belief in the open Canon and continuing Revelation, I wholeheartedly agree with you here. (^_^)

    ReplyDelete