Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Family

I'm taking a short break from studying so this will be a relatively short post. My good friend Nick recently came out to the whole school in an article in a student-run newspaper. While most of the school has actually been very accepting of his coming out, and the testimony he has of what he believes God wants his path to be, his family has not been so accepting. This post is not to talk about Nick's family, although I do pray with all my heart that they will find some sort of understanding towards and love for this amazing young man that I have been blessed enough to have in my life. This post is to my family, both the ones I picked and the ones I did not.

My Parents:


Since before I can remember my parents have been instilling in me the knowledge that they love me. They have supported me in everything I have ever done, and never missed an opportunity to tell me how special I am. Furthermore they have taught me, and my brothers, to have this same love and compassion for others.

When I came out to them there was no hugging or instant acceptance of this part of me. I didn't mind, because it took me years to accept myself. Unlike me, however, they never rejected it or denied it. Their biggest concern was that as parents they wouldn't be able to protect me from the hard things that being gay would bring to my life. They saw first hand the depression and the self hatred that this brought me to. They have become my biggest supporters, not just in LGBT issues, but my life in general. I love them so much.
My Brothers:

I have NEVER felt more like myself then when I'm with my brothers. They know me better than anyone else. I don't think there has been anyone that I've fought with as much either, but the good times out weigh the bad by tons. I have always felt like they fuel a desire in myself to be better and do more. At the same time I never felt any pressure from them to be anything but myself.

When I came out my brothers they surprised me by how much of a non-issue it was between us. As far as I know there was never a moment where they thought of me any differently. My younger brother even wrote a letter apologizing for not being emotionally available enough while we were in high school for me to be honest with him then.

I know what ever happens I will always have my family. They are and always will be my strongest, most constant support. I know many don't have familial support like this, especially after coming out. I hope that USGA can be a type of family for them, but I know that it might not be the same. I recognize how amazing it is that not just my immediate family, but also my extended family, have embraced this part of who I am. I hope I will never forget to thank God for my family.

~Bridey J.

1 comment:

  1. Aw! I miss the Jensens :) Also, Bridey, I don't mean to be weird because we haven't really been in touch lately (except that I creep on you on fb and read your blog religiously) but I just wanted to tell you that I am all kinds of proud of you. It's not easy to love and accept yourself and to allow others to do the same--I'm just very impressed with how fantastic you're turning out :) Keep it up! Love you!

    ReplyDelete